Masterclass: Expanders and rigidity of group actions
Department of Mathematical Sciences
The University of Copenhagen
2-6 May 2016
The purpose of this PhD Masterclass is to give an introduction to the theory of expander graphs, and present some of their recent applications to important problems in geometric (and analytic) group theory, and to operator algebras. In particular, we will address connections to rigidity properties (such as property (T) and fixed point properties) of group actions on Banach spaces. The masterclass is aimed primariy at junior researchers, such as PhD students and postdocs.
The main lecture series will be delivered by:
- Alex Lubotzky, Hebrew University
- Nicolas Monod, Ecole Politechnique de Lausanne
- Damian Osajda, Polish Academy of Sciences
- Mikael de la Salle, ENS Lyon
Titles, abstracs and program:
- Alex Lubotzky: High dimensional expanders in pure and applied mathematics.
- Nicolas Monod: Amenability and fixed point theorems.
- Damian Osajda: Groups containing expanders.
- Mikael de la Salle: Rigidity properties for group actions on Banach spaces.
- Nicolas Monod (notes taken by Chris Cave): I+II, III+IV, V+VI
- Alex Lubotzky (notes taken by Lars Hesselholt): I+II, III+IV
The lectures will be held at the Department of Mathematical Sciences at the University of Copenhagen. The event is hosted by the Centre for Symmetry and Deformation. We also acknowledge support and funding from the Faculty of Science and from the Villum Foundation.
List of participants.