Guide for guests

This guide contains information for guests and employees "to be" at the Department of Mathematical Sciences. To find an item, please consult the following table of contents or search for relevant keywords in your browser.

Academic Calendar

The teaching takes place from approximately the beginning of September to late June and is divided up into four "blocks", with block 1 starting around Sept 1, and each of ca. 9 weeks duration. The courses in each block are divided up into 3 "schedule groups" A, B, C. 
Here is a link to KU-Science's description of the academic year (login to the intranet). 
Here is KU-Science's Google Calendar with the blocks indicated.


The department has a number of bicycles which can be used by employees and guests. Please contact the secretaries on the 1st floor to loan one.

Alternatively, you can rent a "city bike" in front HCØ at Nørre Allé. The hourly rate is DKK 30 per commenced hour. The subscription costs DKK 70 per month including 140 minutes of free usage each month - 280 minutes for students. Without a subscription, the price is 25 DKK/hour to rent a city bike.

Calendars and subscription

The department maintains a calendar with various information. It is possible to subscribe to the main calendars as well as the research group calendars. For the main MATH-calendar, right-click on the icon at the top of the page and select "Copy Link Location". Paste this address into either Outlook (Open calendar > From the Internet) or Google (Other Calendars > Add by URL).

Copying, printing, scanning

Printing: Without a KU-ID you cannot access our printers. Ask your host or the secretariat to help you - and send them a file.
With a KU-ID you can log in to our intranet and read all about network printing.

Copying & scanning: The printers at first and fourth floor can be used for photocopying and scanning bt employees and long term guests. 

Foreign employees and long-term guests

The International Staff Mobility Office (ISM) of the University of Copenhagen has useful information for foreign employees and long-term guests. In particular, ISM maintains some very useful checklists for foreigners coming to Denmark.


In case of problems with the building (doors, windows, heating, drains, etc.), please contact the janitor in office 04.1.03, tel. (+045) 5131 9975 or mail  

IT service

All IT support at the Faculty of Science is done by SCIENCE-IT, whom you can contact at or by phone at 3532 2100.

Long-term guests will be offered network login so they can access the Department intranet where there is more information about IT. The department has a few portable computers you can loan.

Keys and ID-cards

A key card is needed to access the department building outside normal office hours. After presenting the card to the card reader, you must enter your personal 4-digits code followed by '#'.

Employees and long-term guests get their personal code in a letter from the University when the ID-card is first issued. Short-term guests are given a guest card and code when arriving. It's handed out to the local host by Mette Fulling. 

If your key card suddenly ceases to function, it may be a sign that there is something wrong in the way you are registered in the central databases. Please contact Mette Fulling or Nina Weisse in 04.1.04 if you experience this.

Mail (physical)

The mailing address of the department is Institut For Matematiske Fag, Universitetsparken 5, 2100 København Ø, Denmark. Each employee has a mailbox in the mailroom (04.1.12) to which incoming mail will be delivered. The mailroom contains supplies for sending mail and there is a mailbox for outgoing mail.

Office hours of administrative personnel

Monday to Friday 08.30-12.15 a.m. and 13.00-15.00 p.m. 1st floor in the E-building, office 04.1.02 to 07.

Office supplies

Office supplies are found in a storage room opposite the library, entrance through the group room 04.1.100A. You need your ID-card to open the door.

Parking permits

You may be fined if you use the parking lots adjacent to the department without a parking permit. Please contact the secretaries on the 1st floor if you need a permit.

Phones and phone numbers

All phone numbers of the university start with the digits 353. When placing from one university landline to another, these digits should be omitted (so the phone number will have 5 digits). The prefix 0 must be used to reach a number outside the university. The staff list contains the telephone numbers of employees and long-term guests of the department.


The department has a mobile projector which can be used for teaching and conferences. It can be booked by talking to the secretaries in office 04.1.06.

Rooms, booking

Auditoriums and lecture rooms for conferences and other one time events can be booked by contacting Nina Weisse. The lunchroom (04.4.19) and the seminar rooms in the math building (04.3.15, 04.4.01 and 04.4.20) are booked using Outlook, KU-Webmail or on the screens near the doors.

Visas and immigration

Please follow the checklist from ISM to get visa/residence permit/work permit as required. Please be aware that it is important to observe the rules and deadlines - the legislation is very strict. If you are unsure about the process, please contact  ISM - they have the necessary expertise, and they are more likely to give you a correct answer than the authorities.

The procedure for applying for a residence and work permits (needed when visiting longer than 90 days) is as follows:

EU citizens
Future employees: SCIENCE HR will send you the necessary forms some weeks before your employment starts. They will also inform you of what office to register. See also

Visitors: Please follow the instructions given at To register in Denmark, you need to document that you can support yourself financially. If you are supported by your local host, ask your local host to provide documentation.

Not EU citizens 
Future employees:  When you are formally offered a position at the University of Copenhagen, you should receive the relevant forms necessary to get a residence and work permit; please contact SCIENCE HR if you do not receive them. 

The processing time is 30 days (60 days for accompanying family/partners). ISM/NCI will contact you about 3 months before your employment starts, informing you that they have filled out UCPH's part of the AR1 form and asking you to fill out your part. ISM/NCI will provide you with the necessary documentation. If you have accompanying family/partner, they should fill out a separate form.

Visitors: The processing time is 30 days (60 days for accompanying family/partners). If your host is part of the  SYM centre, the centre administrator will contact you about 3 months before your visit, informing you that she has filled out UCPH's part of the AR1 form and asking you to fill out your part. You will need to document that you can support yourself financially. If you are supported by your local host, the SYM centre administrator can provide the documentation. If you have accompanying family/partner, they should fill out a separate form.

Please be aware that visas, residence and work permits are normally temporary and that they should be renewed before they expire. Please contact  ISM for details.


If you are a long-term guest and have a UCPH mail account, then you can access the mail system via webmail.

Wireless network

Employees and students at the University of Copenhagen as well as people affiliated with many other universities can use the wireless network  Eduroam. Please consult the instructions from KU-it (on the intranet)

KU guest 
The wireless network  KU guest is intended for participants in conferences and for short-term guests - without access to Eduroam. Are you a short-term guest, contact Mette Fullingwith your name and current email address to get access. Are you here for 1 or 3 days, follow this procedure: 

  • Log on to the wireless network “KU Guest”.
  • Open a browser and try to browse a website.
  • Follow the on-screen instructions.
  • You should receive an email and a text message with the password. The account will work for 24 hours.

Errors in this guide | Additions to this guide

Please report errors and send suggestions to