Richard Kadison and his mathematical legacy - A memorial conference
University of Copenhagen - 29-30 November 2019
devotion to the field of operator algebras during his long life, and to feature frontline research in operator algebras and its applications in mathematics and physics.
- Joachim Cuntz (Münster)
- Tim de Laat (Münster)
- Sergio Doplicher (Rome, La Sapienza)
- Siegfried Echterhoff (Münster)
- Ilijas Farah (Toronto, York U.)
- Liming Ge (New Hampshire & Chinese Acad. Sci., Beijing)
- Cyril Houdayer (Paris-Sud, Orsay)
- Arthur Jaffe (Harvard)
- Sorin Popa (UCLA)
- Christian Skau (Trondheim, NTNU)
- Hannes Thiel (Münster)
- Andreas Thom (Dresden)
- Stefaan Vaes (Leuven)
- Alain Valette (Neuchâtel)
- Stuart White (Oxford)
- Wilhelm Winter (Münster)
- Joachim Cuntz: Endomorphisms - old and not so old.
- Tim de Laat: Exotic group C*-algebras of simple Lie groups with real rank one
- Sergio Doplicher: Quantum Spacetime and Planck Scales
- Siegfried Echterhoff: The weak containment problem
- Ilijas Farah: Coarse spaces and uniform Roe algebras
- Cyril Houdayer: Stationary actions of higher rank lattices on von Neumann algebras
- Arthur Jaffe: The Feldverein
- Sorin Popa: The ubiquitous hyperfinite II_1 factor
- Christian Skau: Keeping the field alive - reflections on Kadison's pivotal role
- Hannes Thiel: C*-algebras of stable rank one and their Cuntz semigroups
- Andreas Thom: The Murray-von Neumann algebra and the unitary group of a II_1-factor
- Stefaan Vaes: Ergodicity and type of nonsingular Bernoulli actions
- Alain Valette: From Kadison-Singer to Ramanujan, after Marcus-Spielman-Srivastava
- Stuart White: Close operator algebras
- Wilhelm Winter: Amenability and approximations of C*-algebras
List of participants (as of October 28, 2019):
|Karim||Adiprasito||University of Copenhagen|
|Zahra||Afsar||University of Sydney|
|Erik||Bedos||Universitetet i Oslo|
|Clemens||Borys||University of Copenhagen|
|Kevin||Brix||University of Copenhagen|
|Toke M||Carlsen||University of the Faroe Islands|
|Erik||Christensen||University of Copenhagen|
|Tim||de Laat||WWU Münster|
|Sergio||Doplicher||Sapienza Universita di Roma|
|Adam||Dor-On||University of Copenhagen|
|Søren||Eilers||University of Copenhagen|
|Floris||Elzinga||Universitetet i Oslo|
|Ulrik||Enstad||Universitetet i Oslo|
|Ilijas||Farah||York University, Toronto|
|Alexander||Frei||University of Copenhagen|
|Bent||Fuglede||University of Copenhagen|
|Liming||Ge||University of New Hampshire|
|Olof||Giselsson||Chalmers University of Technology|
|Magnus||Goffeng||Chalmers University of Technology|
|Erik||Habbestad||Universitetet i Oslo|
|Cyril||Houdayer||Université Paris-Sud, Orsay|
|Lars||Kadison||University of Pennsylvania|
|Alexey||Kuzmin||Chalmers University of Technology|
|Nadia||Larsen||Universitetet i Oslo|
|Ruben||Martos||University of Copenhagen|
|Andrew||McKee||Chalmers University of Technology|
|Sophie E||Mikkelsen||Syddansk Universitet|
|Henning Olai||Milhøj||University of Copenhagen|
|Magdalena||Musat||University of Copenhagen|
|Ryszard||Nest||University of Copenhagen|
|Johan||Oinert||Blekinge Tekniska Högskola|
|Dorte||Olesen||Danmarks Tekniske Universitet|
|Trond||Omland||Universitetet i Oslo|
|Nikolay||Pochekai||Chalmers University of Technology|
|Mikael||Rørdam||University of Copenhagen|
|Philipp||Schmitt||University of Copenhagen|
|Asger||Tornquist||University of Copenhagen|
|Lyudmila||Turowska||Chalmers University of Technology|
|Alain||Valette||Université de Neuchâtel|
|Christian||Voigt||University of Glasgow|
|Stuart||White||University of Oxford|
|Makoto||Yamashita||Universitetet i Oslo|
Click here to download the program.
Talks, lunches and dinners etc all take place at the Carlsberg Academy. Here is a rough sketch of the program:
Friday, November 29
The Carlsberg Academy opens at 9:00. The scientific program starts at 9:30 and runs until 18:00. Lunch will be served at noon, and a dinner buffet is served from 18:00 to 19:30.
Saturday, November 30
The Carlsberg Academy opens at 8:30. The scientific program starts at 9:00 and runs until 17:00. Lunch is served at 12:30. There is a one hour break for leasure or scientific discussions (17:00-18:00), followed by a welcome beer and the conference banquet.
A note to speakers: The conference hall (the Pompeii hall) is equipped with computer and double screens that nicely can accommodate beamer presentations. Please bring your talk on a USB stick. There will also be two (small) paper flip-overs as a supplement.
Titles and abstracts are contained in this booklet.
From Copenhagen Airport to Scandic-Falkoner: Take Metro line M2 from the airport to Frederiksberg Metro Station. From here it is a very short walk to the hotel.
From the Central Railway Station to Scandic-Falkoner: Take Metro line M3 (direction Frederiksberg) from the central railway station to Frederiksberg Metro Station (one stop after Frederiksberg Alle). You need to buy a ticket for the metro, even if you have a train ticket to Copenhagen (unless it includes local transportation in Copenhagen). If you prefer to walk, then it is 2,5 km (walk down Vesterbrogade, and then take Gl. Kongevej, or the nicer, but slightly longer route along Frederiksberg Alle).
From Copenhagen Airport to CabInn Scandinavia: Take Metro line M2 from the airport to Forum Metro Station. From here it is a short walk to the hotel.
From the Central Railway Station to CabInn Scandinavia: It is probably fastest to walk (about 1,5 km). You can walk along the lake Skt Jørgens Sø.
From Scandic-Falkoner to the Carlsberg Academy: It is a 2 km walk to the Carlsberg Academy. Alternatively, you can take bus 18 from Frederiksberg Townhall (Frederiksberg Rådhus) 4 stops to "Bjerregårdsvej (Valby Langgade)". Or you can take a taxi. NB: print this page with information about how to enter the Carlsberg Academy.
From CabInn Scandic to the Carlsberg Academy: It is a 3 km walk to the Carlsberg Academy. Alternatively, you can walk to Vesterport Station and from there take any of the S-trains (B, Bx, C or H) to Carlsberg Station (direction "Hovedbanegården"). NB: print this page with information about how to enter the Carlsberg Academy.
You can find information about the public transportation system (S-trains, Metro and buses) in Copenhagen here. This page also has information about a ticket app, that you can download.
Tickets and passes for public transportation can be bought at the Copenhagen Airport and every train or metro station. You can find the DSB office on your right-hand side as soon as you come out of the arrival area of the airport. DSB has an agreement with 7-Eleven, so many of their shops double as selling points for public transportation. A journey planner in English is available. One can also by SMS tickets, not sure if it works with non-Danish cell phones (see this Danish info-page).
The conference will take place at the Carlsberg Academy.
You can find directions to the Carlsberg Academy here.
Participants and speakers are staying either at the newly opened Hotel Scandic-Falkoner, which is a 2 km walk to the Carlsberg Academy, or at CabInn Scandinavia, about 3 km from the Carlsberg Academy. See the "Local transportation" accordion about how to get to the hotel from the airport or the central railway station, and from the hotel to the venue of the conference.
If you wish to participate in this conference, then please contact one of the organizers. There will be a conference fee to cover the expenses for meals at the Carlsberg Academy.
If you have been promised travel reimbursement (this applies primarily to invited speakers), then please follow these directions:
- Keep all travel related receipts as well as boarding cards (preferably in electronic form, eg as pdf files)
- Make the reimbursement claim when you return home after the conference. Please make sure to have the following ready before you start:
- Your banking information
- Files containing your flight tickets, boarding pass (both direction) and receipts.
- Fill in this online reimbursement form. In the Trip information part, enter the following information:
- Host name: Mikael Rordam
- Host email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Purpose of visit: Kadison memorial conference
- If you have any questions regarding your reimbursement, feel free to contact email@example.com.
- Please submit this information no later than one week after the conference, so we can start processing the claims well before the new year.